Fish is staple in our home. Fish cooks much faster and needs very few ingredients to bring out the flavors which makes it a quick and healthy week night dinner option. This particular curry recipe is very simple and pairing it with Basmati rice makes it an amazing meal.
In this recipe I have used fillet catfish. Catfish is a moderately fatty fish with a good source of high quality protein and is an excellent source of vitamin B-12. It is a rich source of omega-3 fatty acids.
Prep time: 5 mins Cooking time:15 mins Total time: 20 mins
1 lb fillet catfish
1 tbsp lemon juice
1 large tomato cut into 4 pieces
1 small red onion roughly chopped
4 tbsp fresh grated coconut
1/2 inch peeled ginger
4 garlic cloves
1/2 tablespoon cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste
- Wash and drain the catfish. Cut into 2 inch cubes and apply 1 tablespoon of lemon juice.
- Puree onion, tomatoes, coconut, ginger and garlic to a fine paste.
- Heat oil in a medium pan.Add mustard seeds and once they start to crackle add the onion and tomato puree.
- Add turmeric and red chili powder and cook on medium heat for 5 mins until the oil starts to separate stirring occasionally.
- Drain any water/lemon juice from the fish and add the fish to the sauce.
- Add salt and gently mix together the sauce and the fish. Cook covered on medium heat for 5 mins.
Note: You may want to add 1/4th to 1/2 cup warm water to get the desired consistency.
Serve with Hot Basmati rice and lime wedges!